Places » The History of Johannstadt » Location 4 – Pfotenhauerstraße

eingestellt am 30.01.2019 von QM Johannstadt, zuletzt geändert am 06.10.2019

Walk along the extension of Pfeifferhannsstraße (formerly Stephanienstraße) in the direction of Pfotenhauerstraße. In front of the 101st high school “Johannes Gutenberg”, you will reach the fourth location on the historic walking tour.

City map from 1911. The panel’s location is indicated. Source: JohannStadtArchiv

Before 1945: A mile of shopping and amusement

Pfotenhauerstraße

Today, Pfotenhauerstraße—also colloquially called “Pfote”—is still known as the “Main Street” of north Johannstadt. Until 1945, the street enjoyed tremendous popularity thanks to its shops and restaurants. It was named after head mayor, Friedrich Wilhelm Pfotenhauer (1812-1877). Built across open fields in 1876, the street was lined with strictly geometrical lots. That same year, the building company, Neue Germania AG, erected the first residential dwellings. However, due to an unclear definition of the adjacent commercial zone, construction soon came to a halt. Only after local statutes were changed in 1884—setting aside Pfotenhauerstraße exclusively for residences and shops—did active construction start up once again. Nine years later, residents celebrated the completion of a new tram line through Pfotenhauerstraße.

Interior room of the Radeberger Bräustübel, in 1900. Source:: JohannStadtArchiv

View of Pfeifferhannsstraße, with Stepanienapotheke, in 1900. Source: SLUB Dresden / Deutsche Fotothek / Walter Hahn

The street came to life with numerous specialty shops, establishments and bars. Flocks of people could be seen at all times of day thanks to the street’s vibrant development and wide sidewalks. Some representative stores and establishments of note:

No. 17: Sortimentsbuchhandlung Bruno Curth and Stephanienapotheke (see picture above)
No. 26: In 1894, Dr. Arthur Schloßmann opened a polyclinic for infants and children, the first establishment of its kind in Germany
No. 33: Restaurant “Elsasser Hof” with its “African Room” (see picture below)
No. 37: Drema AG dairy shop
No. 41: Max Schubert’s steam bakery and pastry shop (see picture below)
No. 48: Helm’s Restaurant
No. 57: Curt Ziegler’s Café Freitag im Vorderhaus, glassgrinder’s and glassbender’s
No. 62: Inn “Radeberger Stübel” (see picture above)
No. 69: Otto Gründel butcher’s, with tavern and restaurant
No. 79: Public playing field with lavatory facilities, city planner Hans Erlwein, 1921
Public lavatory with newspaper kiosk, city planner Hans Erlwein, 1906
No. 106: Johannstadt tram station (demolished after 1990)

African Room in “Elsasser Hof”. Source: JohannStadtArchiv
Display decoration for Max Schubert’s steam bakery, in 1920. Source: JohannStadtArchiv
Residential rear courtyard at Pfotenhauerstraße 74, Source: JohannStadtArchiv

In rear courtyards, there were small and midsized businesses with steaming chimneys, hidden within their surrounding five-story block perimeter buildings. Among these were “Attilia-Fahrradbau”, the Filmtechnischen Anstalten, the “Curt Zieger” hard glass bender’s (today “Tenza-Schmiede”), master painters and plumbers, various cigarette factories and chemical specialty firms.

Find more information on the history of Pfotenhauerstraße here.

After 1945: Plattenbau and Kunst

City map from 2017. The map detail is identical to the historical city map from 1911, depicted above. The panel’s location is indicated. Source: Themenstadtplan Dresden

The new shopping street

After the Second World War and the partial destruction of the street’s buildings, Pfotenhauerstraße’s reputation as a lively residential and commercial street was largely lost. After the rubble from the war had been successfully cleared by the middle of the 1950s, the ensuing wasteland was topped with ten-story pre-fab concrete buildings in the 1970s, using materials produced in the nearby concrete slab factory. Also completed were a shopping mall and a service center with a laudromat, hairdresser and shoemaker, among others. Long vacant, the service center was torn down in 2018 to make room for an expanded shopping center.
The long-time council chairman for the region of Dresden and Prime Minister of the GDR, Hans Modrow, lived in the ten-story building no. 22. The Johannstadt branch of Konsum was nicknamed, “Modrow-Kaufhalle”, because of the choice provisions available there compared to other establishments.

Find more information on the history of Pfotenhauerstraße here.

Modrow-Kaufhalle”, ca. 1975. Source: Sammlung Gonschorek, unknown photographer

Source: SLUB Dresden / Deutsche Fotothek / Herbert Boswank
Former service center, condition in 2017. Source: M. Dziallas
Citizens save the lettering of “Dienstleistungszentrum” from being scrapped, 2017. Source: M. Dziallas

 

Johannstadt-Nord: a place for learning

In 1974, the 100th, 101st and 102nd Polytechnical High Schools were built, as so-called double-atrium constructions. As of 2019, the 102. primary school „Johanna“ and Kunterbunte Hortplanet des Deutschen Kinderschutzbundes (Pfotenhauerstraße 40) have been located here, as well as the 101. high school „Johannes Gutenberg“ and the Dresden Night School (Pfotenhauerstraße 42). City council has decided that in 2020, another communal education establishment will be joining the Gynasium Johannstadt at Pfotenhauerstraße 42, and that the 101st High School will temporarily be relocated to a new school buildling on Blüherstraße. Boys and girls from over 30 different countries receive their education at this location.

Kunst am Bau

The sculpture, “Spiral of Socialism” at the entrance to the 101st High School captivates with its slender, dynamic form and its incisive subject matter. Artist and sculptor, Johannes Peschel, born in 1931, created this sculpture in the manufacturing cooperative, “Kunst am Bau” (Art at the worksite), where he and nine other members had worked since 1960 as “artists of socialist construction” in the GDR. Even the widespread molded-concrete structural walls in Dresden from before 1989 harken back to Peschel’s sculptural creations. One such molded wall was located in front of the former service center, just across Pfotenhauerstraße, until 2018.

Sculpture “Spiral of Socialism”, condition in 2017. Source: J. Uhlig

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Text: Matthias Erfurth, Matthias Kunert, Henning Seidler

 

<< Location 2 – Johanngarten                                Location 5 – Arnoldstraße >>